April 20, 2009

God Kissed

Do you remember the Hobbits in the movie (and book) 'Lord of the Rings'? They talked about first breakfast, second breakfast, first lunch, second lunch and so on. In our house we now refer to my sleeping habits in similar terms. I have first sleep--the sleep I have until I wake after 2-3 hours; then comes second sleep, which is interrupted early morning by the girl bringing the anesthesia charts for the day. If I'm lucky I get third sleep after that. (No third sleep, no happy.)

So--one night, in between sleeps, I got to thinking about something I had read about that ordinary woman with the extraordinary voice (a couple of posts ago). The author referred to her as "God-Kissed"--meaning, of course, her gift.

Here's what she wrote:

We each have within us something of much greater value than perfect bodies and unlined skin: the divine spark, the God-kiss, that lives in each and every one of us - no exceptions. We are fascinated with Susan Boyle, because she reveals to us the world of possibilities we too often leave unexplored, within ourselves. We dare to think…has God kissed me, too?

So I wondered, why did we look at that woman and think, that's not the way it's supposed to go. Ordinary people who look ordinary and live ordinary lives are not supposed to be great. And it hits us, whoa --what if there is greatness in me--in all of us?

That's an almost subversive thought in a world where superficial beauty is so admired. There might be greatness in each of us that goes unappreciated and undiscovered, because, what is great in us is not valued by the people who define such things.

Wait, stick with me here. I think about our family and friends--my own children. Earlier, I mentioned Gammy's lovely voice. But, I think she must have been showered with "God-kisses" because she had so many other gifts. And what about the ones who will help whenever asked, the creative ones, the get 'er done, dynamic ones. Those steady folks who get up every morning and just do whatever is required of them. Think about Charlie in his poor twisted body. Just his being here is a sort of greatness. They'll never be famous, and wouldn't care to be. These are the great ones who will never be known outside their family and friends.

Here's what I finally concluded.
The way we came to see this ordinary woman must be the way Heavenly Father sees us: worthwhile, special, talented, unique--beautiful. He sees the real person, and understands the value of each individual’s gifts: rich or poor, young or old, ill or well, lucky or unlucky in life. He knows us. And loves us…Everybody is somebody!

Ha! Now maybe I can get some sleep-

7 comments:

Suz said...

HOLY CRAP! Where have you been all my life? You just keep doing it! Awesome!

PS---Benedryl 75 mg qhs

Grandma Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday profound one! May you have a great day - remember we don't have to do any work on our birthday's as stated by our wonderful gift of a mother.
You are a gift to me - just out of sight far too long. Glad you're my sister!
Love you!!!

The Whitney's said...

Thanks for that thought! I love reading your posts. You are a gift to me.

TravandNat said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! Wouldn't it be great to have a glimpse, just a small one, to see how our Heavenly Father actually sees each of us. I think we would treat each other much differently! Thanks for opening my eyes to a new way of looking!

Jolene said...

Absolutely beautiful, dear birthday girl. I think you are showing all of us how you have been "kissed." You make be cry all the time. Thanks for this gift called your blog. I hope your birthday is fabulous, and I won't even tell people how young you are!

Anonymous said...

This is an example of why I can never do a blog. I am a good writer, but not one to elaborate in a such a beautiful, philosophic way. I am more of a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek kinda gal. I would love to have your gift, it is truly amazing. Love you, you were always my idol as a kid and now I know why. Happy Birthday.. I still adore you... Jill B

Meghan said...

SHEESH! you have more going on in your head in one night than i have in a year. incredible! thank you thank you. honestly, if we saw people the way God sees them wouldn't we love more and judge less. i think though, that our hearts aren't big enough. we don't have the capacity to love and hurt for so many people.

anyway, again, i am so glad you are here in my blogosphere.