April 15, 2009

Pay Up!

"Who is FICA and why are they taking all my money." So said Rachael on the sitcom 'Friends'. When you open your paycheck, do you look at all the money taken out and think, "What the???"

Unless you are an accountant, a tax spender, a tax shelterer or a tax parasite, today is not a happy day. Probably, most have already filed and paid, or received refunds. If you got a refund, you're probably happy. But remember, you lent the government your money--interest free--for a year. For the self employed, today is the last day you get to pay taxes twice: any taxes you owe from last year and the first payment of quarterly taxes for next year. Oh joy!

Now, I don't mind paying my fair share to support my country. Sometimes, though, it doesn't always seem so fair.

Uh oh, have I dipped my toe in political waters? Um--no. Paying taxes is a bi-partisan affair. Like the old prostitute says: You know you're going to pay, now we're just bickering over the price.

4 comments:

Suz said...

Wrote 2 checks today. Lost a child tax credit due to one being 17. What the hell I say? I need the credit for that one more than ever now! *&%$#@%&^*(&^%$#&%@#$.

Jolene said...

We've lost all our deductions. It really bites to pay, but at least I used my money instead of them - whoever they are.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh , wait till you get audited for 3 years and write 2 two checks in less than 3 months for 52 thousand dollars! Then ask me "What the HELL does the IRS do with my money!" And I have paid taxes religiously my entire life! That was part of the worst 3 months of my life!!!!!

Meghan said...

mar - i need todds # - can you email it to me?