April 9, 2009

Easter Without Candy

No Easter baskets, no new Easter clothes, no Easter egg hunts, no Peeps (sigh), no chocolate bunnies. When all that is past, Easter is different. It is more about the reason. I am not a church goin' gal, but that doesn't make me a non-believer. I believe that when Jesus said on the cross "It is finished" he didn't mean it was over. More like "finished" in the way a church, or a sculpture, or a painting is finished. When the work finished is a work of art, the finish is only the beginning.
Then the resurrection. That our lives are not in vain. A beautiful gift by a life freely given. Astonishing when you think about it.

So, beautiful music makes be cry. I can't sing this song in church without tears. (Actually, I can't sing at all anymore--but still--)



I know it's considered impolite to discuss politics or religion. So sue me! I like Easter.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Beautiful Marilee. Thanks for bringing me back to the reason. I get wayyy to wrapped up in the stuff of things. I love your thoughts. See how smart you are.

Meghan said...

you may not be a church goin gal, but sure are spiritual. thanks for bringing me outta the bunny basket and back where i belong today. your thoughts are beautiful.

ps. still, so sorry about the peeps.

Marilee said...

Meg, peeps will go on sale tomorrow. If there's any left, I'll get some the next time I go shopping. They won't be easter peeps--they'll be "oh goodie, cheap candy" peeps.

TravandNat said...

Marilee,

Thank you for your reminder of the reason! I do go to church, but your words were more powerful to me than sitting in that meeting on Sunday.

Thanks for the wet cheeks today!

Anonymous said...

Totally to the point. Thanks for your insight...Love you, Jill
Mom's best bud in Barton Creek is Jean Keddington..wasn't Linda one of your friend..

JIll B