April 14, 2009

Could You Do This?

From the "don't judge a book by it's cover" category.
Watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Not allowing embed, but click on the link to watch--before you read on.

Her voice, her range, reminded me that Gammy used to be known for her lovely contralto voice. She was so sad when, after her thyroid illness, she could no longer sing like she used to. I'm sorry that her grandchildren never got to hear her sing. What a gift she had.

Cheryl and I sang with her in church a couple of times. I was too young to appreciate it at the time. I do now.

6 comments:

Grandma Cheryl said...

I think you and I are the only children who remember her singing. Even now, when I hear some of the songs she sang, I get lonely for her. I need to write down the names of the songs she would sing next time I hear them.
Love, love your posts! Keep 'em comming!

Jolene said...

What I remember best about Mom's singing is that she led the music in opening exercises in Sunday School and during the practice song, I wanted to crawl under the seat, she embarrassed me so much. Now, I'm just like that. She was loaded with personality and I never appreciated it as a kid.

Suz said...

I don't remember any elegante' singing from Gammy though I spent many a sacrament meeting next to her (she had treats in her pockets every week) and she always helped me follow the alto line.

As for ole' Susan the 47 year old frump......WOW! This clip reminds me a lot of Paul Potts. Cut and paste the link for a special treat (even though I want to fix his teeth).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelJrP3P7tA

Thanks Mar. Awesome as usual.

Meghan said...

i also used to sit by gammy at church as she fiddled in her pocket to pull out treats and wadded tissues... you never knew if the treat was worth it.
but often after a hymn she would talk of when she used to sing... and a few times she told me my voice reminded her of hers. i didn't know much about her singing, but now feel bad i didn't try harder or care more about singing... perhaps i coulda been good.

and miss boyle, incredible. love it. it actually made me weepy. thank miss mar.

TravandNat said...

I unfortunately, never had the chance to meet Gammy. I know that she was an amazing person though!

I loved the clip...I am weepy too, Meg. And Sus, I loved Paul Potts, too!

Anonymous said...

Mom, Marion and Marj sang in a quartet for most of their younger lives and sitting by them in church they sang in beautiful harmony. Jill b