February 27, 2009

Smile!

Okay, this picture is here just so there will be a better picture at the top of the blog than that wretched wheelchair. It was taken in NC on the same climb that resulted in the picture of Todd on the mountain top. But not the point of this post.
The job David does requires him to talk to 40-50 people by phone every day. He gets all sorts because there are all sorts of people in the world. Some are pleasant, some are bitchy and mean and some are just--well-not too smart. When he gets something interesting he hauls his butt to the wheelchair to find me. Once, in answer to the question regarding joint pain, a poor woman chuckled and said "I hurt everywhere under my hair". It made me chortle 'cause I feel the same way some days. Another, when asked for his height and weight said "I'm full grown". He was 6' 5" and around 300 lbs. Made us laugh. 
I love when I get unexpected smiles. One of those happened in the parking lot of the grocery store. I passed an elderly gentleman (more elderly than I) and just nodded and smiled at him. He stopped me to say thank you. For a smile. He smiled back and we went on our way. 
I have also discovered that even the kid at the drive through window appreciates a smile and thank you. (It also makes for better service.)
Here's what I wonder. Why is it a surprise when someone is kind?? Don't know the answer to that but I have my suspicions.
I have posted elsewhere a quote from a friend of mine; "Be kind, for everyone you meet is enduring a mighty struggle". That struggle may be as insignificant as a flat tire or as consequential as a terrible illness or death. 
Anyway, there is a reason for the main title of my little blog. Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much.
And smile!


5 comments:

Suz said...

This is why I am so glad you are here.

The Whitney's said...

I too I'm happy for those smiles. My husband gives me reason to smile in the middle of the night when he starts talking in his sleep. The other night he told me that he was going to wrestle me to the ground. (later to find out we were a part of the WWF smackdown) He gives me those smiles.

By the way I'm so happy you have a blog now.

Katie Jo said...

Marilee!!! i'm so glad you have a blog!!! I loved you thought about everyone is going through some kind of struggle!! I've never really thought about it that way! Thanks!

TravandNat said...

Thank you for the smile today. I think I needed to reminded that a smile goes a long way!

Meghan said...

LOVE it. love your point of view.