February 20, 2009

In Memory of the Oscars--What is Your Favorite Movie?


In memoriam, since the Oscars are dead to me, my favorite movies recently viewed. The list is not of current movies because I wait for DVD's. (In no particular order, except as my memory allows.)
  1. The Lives of Others: This story is set in East Germany in 1984. It chronicles life under the totalitarian regime before the wall came down. It is stunning to see life as it was lived then. It's in German and subtitled--but don't be scared, you get used to reading and watching. DO IT!!  
  2. The Devil Wears Prada: I know, I know, a cheesy chick flick. But David and I both laughed our butts off. The two best words in the movie--"That's all".
  3. John Adams: The HBO series is so educational and real. I mean, really, check out their teeth. Don't let the length or the thought that is may be a documentary deter you. It is compelling and entertaining.
  4. The Holiday: Two women change places for a "fortnight" and find themselves. The ultimate fantasy movie for anyone who wants a change. Also--a chick flick. Don't knock it--I am still a chick.
  5. The Princess Bride: Very old but a classic. Great lines-"He's only mostly dead", "My name is Indio Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die", "As you wish".
  6. Immortal Beloved: The story of Beethoven cloaked in a love story. Beautiful music, beautiful film.
  7. Sense and Sensibility: The great Jane Austin story. Loved the dialogue, so very old British.
  8. All of the Die Hard Movies: Two words--Bruce Willis.
  9. We Are Marshall: A sports movie, a tearjerker and Matthew McConaughey.
  10. Moonstruck: Another classic. I watch it every time it comes on the tube. Cher before she got weird--(okay weirder). Also the angst of Nicolas Cage is a joy to behold.
Okay,  I will now wait for you to tell me how wrong I am and to add your favorites.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Awesome idea! The oscars are lame because real people don't watch the dumb movies that are nominated.

#1 The American President
#2 The Bucket List
#3 The Ultimate Gift
#4 The Doctor
#5 The Wedding Singer (you'll jinx the band)
#6 The Great Debaters (If you borrowed this....bring it back)
#7 The Wedding Planner
#8 Failure to Launch (WHEW! Finally a movie that doesn't start with THE)
#9 On Golden Pond
#10 Dan in Real Life.

Shallow and superficial I know. Don't care. The real world sucks.

Jolene said...

I went through our DVD's because I'm not with it enough to remember anything that is not in front of me. These are my favorites, in no particular order.
1. Little Mermaid
2. The Right Stuff
3. Apollo 13
4. Miracle
5. Hairspray
6. Pirates of the Caribean - The Curse of the Black Pearl
7. Princess Bride
8. Support Your Local Sherriff
9. (tie)- A Christmas Story/Christmas Vacation
10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

If Keith could add to this list (now don't laugh too hard) this is what he would add:
1. Fiddler on the Roof
2. Lost Horizon
3. Joseph and the Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat
4. Phantom of the Opera
(Notice they're all musicals. What have I done to him?)

Marilee said...

Suz, I had forgotten about Doctor--good stuff. I had never heard of the Ultimate Gift--looked it up, looks good, added to queue.
Jo, I also LOVE Fiddler on the Roof. If we're talking musicals, which I adore, (how could I be raised by our mother and not appreciate the musical?) I would add Camelot, My Fair Lady, Funny Girl, On a Clear Day. (I try to ignore the whole Barbra Streisand political crap,)