November 2, 2009

Loving Sports


Okay, I totally copied this from another blog. It was anonymous, so I can't give credit to the author. But---I loved it. So, here, let me share.


"Baseball is like the human athlete. Mostly anaerobic jogging along interspersed with moments of sheer anabolic power. . . . Three hours of boredom followed by three minutes of sheer terror. But the three hours are the set up to the moments of sweaty palms, like watching a chess match unfold. If you know what’s going on in those three hours, wow. The three minutes are spine tingling.

Football is war. You advance on the enemy and run an operation. Then fall back and run the intel and assessment and run a different tactical plan at them. And another and another and another until you have to give back the ground you’ve taken. Pure power punctuated by grace and cunning and daring unlike any other sport (daring as in, how a wide receiver bares his ribs to make a catch with a 280 pound guided missile coming at him in a collision that has been calculated to be like surviving a 30 mph car crash) . . . Again, like chess, but the pieces on the board have muscular butts, can bench press Volvos and run a 4:40.

Basketball is feline king of the jungle sensuous power on display. Incredible skill to get a ball through a hoop that is 3/4 of an inch larger in diameter than the ball. And do it from 40 feet, or vertically leap eleven feet and slam it through the hoop. For over two hours. While big men are trying to take that ball away from you. . . . Doing wind sprints for two hours. With an elbow in your face, and a genetic mutant blocking your every move with hands so large they can palm a Thanksgiving turkey on the end of arms that can change a light bulb in the ceiling fixture, without a step stool."

So, what d'ya think??

5 comments:

Trish and John said...

So what's NASCAR???

Grandma Cheryl said...

Love the descriptive discussion of these sports and totally agree with the writer.

Sorry that I am so simple. I only know how I feel about each one. I love football, tolerate basketball and can only endure baseball if at the stadium eating all the ballpark food with the family.

NASCAR, Golf, Tennis - not team sports but what about soccer? (The most boring team sport ever....lasts so long and has so few scores)

Good to hear from you!!!!!

Unknown said...

always enjoy similes
thanks mom

Meghan said...

love it too. made me re-evaluate my feeling toward basketball... for a minute. glad soccer wasn't included.

Suz said...

Your momma is so proud to have raised sports lovin children.

I however and a huge disappointment to her. I can attend if a child is on the team and watch if said child is playing.