October 10, 2009

If I Only Had A Brain

I would dance and be merry,
Life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a brain.
(The Scarecrow: "The Wizard of Oz")

Item 1: Running errands, stop at grocery store. No need for list, I only need two items; Diet Coke and milk. Oh, looky here at the nice display. Rice Krispie Treats on sale! Talk to self. (Mom used to always tell me to "go have a talk with yourself" when I had done something, umm, unwise.) Self says, "You could make those yourself". Other self, "Yeah, but they're on sale!". Self, "Not very nutritious". Other self, "Oh, pish posh. It's breakfast cereal. Is marshmallow a dairy product? No? Well, it looks like it." So into the cart go the Treats.
A super sale! Snack Cakes, sliced French Bread. "Great idea! I'll get some spaghetti to go with it." "Oh Yumm, Krispie Kreme Doughnuts." (Clearly, Other Self won the nutrition argument.) All happily jump into my shopping cart.
Not too many items. Check self out. Get Home. Unload groceries. And, oh @#$$!!, no milk or Diet Coke. (Because they're not on sale, I suppose.) I can only deduce I left my brain in the parking lot.

Item 2: Hands hurt. Hip hurts. Neck hurts. Time for ibuprofen. Head toward medicine cabinet.
Five minutes later, "Did I take that medicine?" Can't remember. Happens all the time. Do I need to record it like I did for patients when I was a nurse?

Item 3: Get in car. Drive my usual route. Get to intersection. "Where was I going?" Ah-ha, now I remember. But I drove right past it. Several blocks ago.

I'm sure there are more---but I just can't remember....

8 comments:

Meghan said...

wow mar. impressive. i hope the local gas station has milk so you don't have to go back.

i was running late one morning because i couldn't find my keys. so i used my spare and went about my day. later that night after tearing the house/car/purse apart, i found my keys. in my front pocket.

Jolene said...

i couldn't find my wallet today. Paniced. Even drove to school to see if it might have fallen out of my car (ya,like if it did it would still be there). Yep, found it in my school bag I had already looked in. Makes me feel good that I have company in my old timers.

Deirdre said...

Don't ya love it when you go to the store for one or two things and end up spending 100.00 and not even gettting the things you need

Marilee said...

Meg, you have 3 excuses. You're lucky you get out of the house with your sanity intact.
Jo, yeah, but do you have converstions with yourself?
Deirdre, yes. Also irritating when I do have a long list for the weeks shopping and still get home having forgotten at least one thing--that was ON THE LIST.

Grandma Cheryl said...

Well,I just want you all to know that this NEVER happens to me! I mean never!!!

Marilee said...

Cheryl, are you sure you just can't remember what you forgot? As well as that pesky 9th commandment.

Suz said...

Wish I didn't understand this and I wish I had never uttered these words. I blame it on too many things going on in my mind though it likely has to do with all the diet coke I consume. Blahhhhh!

Saundra Jill Stapley Sanduk Barraclough said...

Oh man, you are all pathetic..Viv says "your circuits are busy". Think of your brain as a computer and you have downloaded too much info. And when it gets overloade, crap happens.

At least, these are excuses I use when my mind goes to the netherlands