See this precious child? (Yes, I am a photo thief.)This child has provided a gift. Reading Rob and Angel's recent posts reminded me of what I saw while I was there, and what they have asked for in their latest endeavor.
While we were blithely living our lives, working for self-actualization, self-gratification, and self-realization; this angel, this damaged child, showed us what we really needed to do. Step back, take the focus off self and put it on others. Do that, and the rest falls into place.
I read of a well known woman, who shall go unnamed, who said a woman should do what makes her happy. Said being a good mother isn't all about sacrificing. It’s really investing and putting yourself higher on your priority list. She was teaching her daughters to do the same.
I believe this is the most selfish and egocentric example of the "me generation". Which really isn't a generation at all, but a slogan for all the excesses we feel we are entitled to.
Don't misunderstand, this is not the same thing as "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". That's an atmosphere, an environment mothers are able to create for their family.
All too often a priority on self is the way people feel they must live their lives. This attitude is so self-defeating. Here’s the seemingly contradictory truth about being human: you can get anything you want by helping other people get what they want. True joy is found only in serving others, not in serving yourself.
"Living your life for yourself is like squeezing a handful of sand: the harder you clench, the faster it slips through your fingers, leaving you with nothing. But if you open your hand up flat, you can hold that sand all day."
Made me think of this: (yes, I had to look it up. I'm no Bible scholar.)
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
Don't see anything there about putting yourself above all others, do ya?
(Confession. I am not always able to do this, but I do feel guilty about it. Does that count?)
5 comments:
Well you've done it again! Wish I was a thinker like you.
Thanks for the reminder. :-)
wow mar. i am going to change your link on my blog to "big thoughts" or "self help". not sure which yet.
and yes, whats in your heart does count, even if we can't/don't always follow through.
Great Post! I need your e mail so I can invite you to my blog!! I just went Private!
Thanks for your thoughts. Love the sand on the hand quote but what happens to the sand when the wind comes up?
Been pondering the relationship between "hope" and "faith." What do you think?
Post a Comment