There were the girls I hung out with during Jr. High and High School. There were the guys I spent time with during college. There were the people we met as we moved around the country for David's school and job. From Utah to California to North Carolina to Tennessee, I can claim to have been friends with the best, the most fun, the most caring people one could know.
These are some of my close and beloved friends during our years in Somerville. While our children were in school, we attended sports and band events. We played bridge and spent summers at the pool. We took vacations together. We were a group, a gathering of families that were like my own. They were my helpmates and my support. They were there for me when mom died, when I had surgeries, and when David was ill. Oh, and we had the best parties!As often happens, most of these friendships languished as the years passed.
All except one.
My friend, Diane Butters Hill.
Diane has been my friend for over 40 years. She knows and accepts everything about me.
If you haven't had a friend like this, you're just guessing at what friendship is, gesturing toward it, assuming that it’s the right name for a feeling you’ve had.
We spent the years between high school and marriage together.
I was her maid of honor.
She was my matron of honor.
I haven't seen Diane for years and years. She lives near Denver and I, well, I don't live anywhere near Denver.But, despite the distance and years, we have remained the very best of friends.
Even if we don't talk for months, it's like no time has passed at all. Even before the convenience of email and the Internet; when there was only the telephone, she was there.
Just there. No judgement, no complaint. Just there.
I'd like to think I was there for her too.
5 comments:
I remember as a kid, I use to ask if I could just come in your room with you and Diane and "Watch." The two of you were so entertaining and fun to be around. You would take me with you to her house so I could swim. What a great sister you were to an obnoxious younger sister. Fabulous tribute to Diane, I know you are there for her too.
What a great post. Your friendship with Diane is truly a lifetime of commitment. How lucky you both are to have each other.
And by the way, we live very near Denver so feel free to come visit anytime. You have a place to stay with us anytime!
Wow, you made me cry. And another WOW where did you dig those pictures up. We were THIN! Oh how time fly's. Here we are now, old and smarter than we were then!
Love you always.
Doris
You did find some oldies but goodies. You are blessed to have cute little Doris in your life.
Fun post!!!
I also remember swimming and Diane's house. I thought she was SO glamorous.
Yahoo for great pals. We all need em and we can never have too many! Another great post.
Post a Comment