March 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Papa

Papa, Dad, Daddy, Sterling, Slats. However you know him, he is the most handsome 89 year old I know. He has been a son, a husband, a father, an uncle, a brother a grandpa,and a great grandpa. He is a farmer, a firefighter, a carpenter, a runner, and now retired. 
He has helped all of his children build a home. Well, except me. I lived too far away. But every time he visited he brought his tools. He poured concrete, made a sandbox, designed and constructed the sturdiest play set ever, built a deck and even a horse stall. I loved when he came because everything in the house got repaired. (David has many skills, but throwing a hammer is not one of them.)

Some of the random thing I learned from him: 
  • Never drive with bugs in your car. Okay, this might need an explanation. When I was just learning to drive he got in the car with me and there was a bee in the back window. As I started to drive off, he stopped me. Always make sure you are not distracted when you drive, he said. So, even now, I check my car for such pesty  distractions.
  • Children need structure and a schedule. When Cami was a baby (my first) she might become fussy when we were visiting the parents. He told me then to make sure she had regular naps and a schedule for feeding. I have learned through the years just how wise this was.
  • Drive defensively. There are all sorts of public service announcements today that say that very thing. I learned it early on--from my dad the fire truck driver.
  • Exercise!! If only I had listened---
Did you know?  
  • I hate to brag, but I was the only child born on the farm.
  • He had polio as a child.
  • During WWII he was in the Coast Guard. At first he was assigned land duty. He purposefully broke a rule so he would be sent to sea.
  • When Jolene was born he worked at fire station #3 in Sugarhouse. When mother went into labor with her, he ran home to take her to the hospital. (yes, before everybody had two cars.)
(These are just the things that popped into my head. Please add yours.)

Papa is the patriarch of a large family who all love and admire him. He asks for little and has given all he can. So Happy Birthday Papa. We love you well.

10 comments:

Jolene said...

He tells all the grandkids that the family that plays together, stay together.

He made the best ski boat ever, and would work with you for hours -patiently helping you learn to ski.

He's told us for years to get out of debt and stay out of debt and to always pay more on your morgage than the minimum. (Look how smart he was with today's economy.)

He gives all the grandkids peaches for their weddings.

He can fix anything and then tells you that, "That's good enough for who it's for." Basically, that means it's perfect.

If you got in trouble, that just meant you didn't have enough work to do. Our parents really taught us all how to work.

He wants to do everything by himself. He wants to be independent.

He has taken some breathtaking hikes with my kids, especially Travis.

He's the best Daddy a girl can have. Love you Dad and Happy Birthday.
Thanks for the post Marilee so I can add my 2 cents.

Marilee said...

Thanks Jo! I remember all of those except the peaches--no weddings :(
How could I have left out the blue ski boat. (Hit it!)

Katie Jo said...

He also smiles the best when he gets hugs! :)

Suz said...

I remember going to the white firestation west of the Capitol when I was a little kid for a Sunday visit. We always got a popcicle. THere was a basketball or handball court at that station and I thought it was very cool.

-Papa roofed my house when he was 82 years old. I was nervous every second he was up there. I tried really hard to make sure he had food and drink while he worked. After he was done he said "I never really liked Susan much but she makes a good sandwich". I will take it where I can get it I guess!

-I had only been married for a month or so when I noticed the kitchen sink was leaking in our apartment. I told John that I was calling Papa and John looked at me kinda hurt that I didn't think he could fix the sink. We always called Papa when something needed fixin. Who knew I married a handyman?

-I remember Papa sleeping during family parties. He would turn his aids off and forget all the chaos. One day he was pretending to sleep when Gammy asked him to go downstairs for something. I suggested I thought he was awake.....and he worked really hard not to smile during his faux nap.

-Papa has called Anni Ann since the day she was born.

-Gammy and Papa came to Lagoon when Amanda and Matt were little (maybe 6 and 4). I have an awesome photo of Papa grinning from ear to ear watching them ride the mini roller coaster. He told Cheryl it was his best day.

Happy to you Papa. XOXO

Suz said...

PS.....didn't get peaches for my wedding. Is that a post gammy tradition?

Jay said...

Well I dont really know were I would start to say what papa has done for me I dont think this page would let me type that much!

What can I say about a man who would haul a snot nosed kid around everywhere he went for years and years, knowing now how furstrating it is to try and teach somone how to work.

I know I am who I am today because of how he lived his life and all the things taught me in my life. I know I will never be able to repay him but I hope he knows how greatfull I am for him.

TravandNat said...

Papa can't hear well, but his other senses make up for it!
One Sunday at the dinner table, I was telling Kelli not to worry about her premarital exam at the doctor. I was telling her what the doctor would do, specifically during the breast exam. Without realizing it, the story became more involved as I used my hands to create a clearer picture for her just what would take place. Papa may not have known what I was saying, but he was paying close attention to what my hands were doing! :P I was mortified! As a result though, Papa pays close attention to me when it's my turn to talk.

Marilee said...

Jay, I think you should tell him. I hope Papa knows all of what has been commented--that he is so loved.

Jolene said...

Cheryl read it to him on his Birthday, but, I'm going to print it and give it to him.
Suz - peaches are a poor substitute for the quilt you older cousins got. It's still cute that he gives them his favorite peaches.

Meghan said...

i got the peaches, and to tell you a little secret, i got them more than just at my wedding. once or twice the sweetheart has brought my fam some cases of stuff from case lot sales. the babies eat the greenbeans almost everyday....

after we bought the house, we asked him to help us paint. an 85 year old man spent 2 weeks - everyday - painting my entire house... and murmured just a little about 7 different colors in one small house. he also taught me what "holidays" are in painting. and i will think of it everytime anybody paints.

he set up an appointment with me to come up and chat. he gave me the same sage advice about paying more - even just a little more - on your mortgage and to stay out of debt. i felt so lucky to have a papa who actually cares about his grandkids and their long term well being.

when i was younger, i liked to run. (i know better now). and for awhile, i would run with papa on davis boulevard. i couldn't really keep up (he ran 5 miles!), but i think he took it easy on me so i would keep coming.

anytime he finds dirtex, he sends me some... it is the best for cleaning walls and floors. and knows that i like to use it.

now that i started, i feel like i could just keep going and going. but just a few more things.... i love the way he talks to ryan, and makes him feel special. i love the way he watches the twins play and knows what they are up to and what i am in for. he told me last summer that he had almost forgotten how much work two could be. i love that he is the best example of charity and service, and that we all learned it from him and our gammy. i hope i can teach my kids the things they taught me... so that they would be proud. i love my papa.