May 21, 2009

Rhythm of Life

After I posted the "nothin'" that is my life, I got to wondering how much it bothered me that one day is the same as another. After I chewed on it for awhile, I decided, not at all.
There's a kind of comfort knowing that each day will be the same. Especially after experiencing the terror of not knowing what the next day will hold. I now prefer no surprises.
There is a sort of rhythm in everyones lives. We go to great lengths to assure that rhythm . We have life, medical, auto and home insurance. (As long as we are able to anyway.) We want steady jobs, family and friends we can count on. When we no longer have that sureness, we decide that, hey, maybe sameness doesn't suck.
Sometimes we change the rhythm of our lives on purpose. We take a vacation, we explore new places, we meet new people. I would happily change the rhythm of our lives, if I could be assured that it wouldn't be discordant or disharmonious.
As it turns out, I prefer the soothing sameness to staring into the abyss of uncertainty.

Oh man, speaking of of the rhythm of life, this song is now stuck in my head. It's very old, almost ancient.
The great Sammy Davis Jr.!!
Now, children, this was the sixties.



Kinda changed moods on ya there, didn't I! Ha! I'm allowed. I'm old.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Manda sang this song when she was in a show choir. It was in my head for 6 months. Thanks for putting it back there.

I hear what your a saying about thank the Lord for a boring day! Next week I have worked in the Shock Trauma ICU for 20 years and it never ceases to amaze me how many people get up in the morning and head to work and never come home. Yahoo for the same old shizniz.

Jolene said...

All I could think of is that Mom would say, "This would make a great roadshow number."
I'm anxious for my sameness to end for awhile, 10 more days of school. Then I'll get bored and want to go back to school. Erin said teaching is like pregnancy, you can't wait to get the 9 months over with, then you need awhile to forget how hard it is, and you're ready to go again.
I wish I was as smart as you. I don't really take the time to think about things as deeply as you. So glad you're my sister and bring to me all these amazing thoughts. Love you

Jill's Diary....love it or leave it! said...

I am still awed by your eloquence. My sameness is in a way satisfying and yet, there is something missing. I am not sure what it is. Maybe, I will find out and feel like I've fallen in the abyss you mentioned. Oh wait! I think I've fallen in it quite a few times over the last few years. Maybe summer weather will change my outlook (I almost said Look out!..show's you where my mind is.)