We have two baskets with trailing petunias and a cala lily.
We have a jasmine from last year.
We have a mandevilla.
We have a daisy gardenia.
We have hosta--in a pot. This is also from last year. We thought the bulb would not survive the winter in a pot. To our joy, it came back this spring. Who knew?
Our finished porch.That is the end result. Fun? Not so fast. I said I was just a enabler-not a willing gardener.
David is the real lover of gardening. Now, he only has one good hand and one good leg--dammit. It started when Cami and I went to Lowes to get a fern for her new apartment and foolishly told David what a great garden center they had. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Of course, David would want to go--he loves that stuff!
The journey required loading the wheelchair in the trunk, unloading it and pushing him all around so he (we) could pick out just the right plants. It really is a nice garden center with lots and lots of rows of plants and flowers. Lots and lots--- How do you push a wheelchair and carry plants at the same time?? You get a cart, put it in front of the wheelchair and let David try to steer it with one hand. Good times. Just to make it more delightful, the sun came out, after a day of rain, and the center became a steam bath. Now--I am trying to be helpful and supportive. The good wife. But, damn, I'm old and fat and it's hot and I'm sweating and still have to load and unload the plants, potting soil and wheelchair.
Thank goodness for a daughter who likes getting her hands in dirt. Cami came over and, with David's supervision, got all those suckers planted.
As for me--I do love looking at them!


5 comments:
Two days later Mom had her hair cut off her neck. Those of you that have been to M-town know all about the humidity. Strange side note: while replanting, Dad and I found an egg in one of the pots. Some slow bird (bless her heart) had laid an egg in dirt, in a pot, on a porch. Makes one wonder if the Mississippi River needs to be checked for pollutants.
David has always had a gift with gardening. Yesterday we dug out all the roses and vines on the southwest corner of our house. We went to the dump and got a load of compost and added it to the garden. Now I need David to tell me what to plant. And Cami, yes, the humidity is AWFUL in Memphis which is why I don't understand why you people live there!!!!
Mar-you are the abler! The humidity might suck for the planter but it appears to be AWESOME for the plants! Your lily is beautiful!
I also love to have my hands in the dirt. Soothes my soul. Sadly, uncle sam got my annual money this year. Is it OK to sell plasma for state fair zinnias?
I love the plants that grow in humidity! Desert greenery.. eh .. not so much!. We are replacing the liner in our pool with a maxed-out heavy duty one..for our maxed-out heavy duty family... And when I say "We_.. I mean I nag and Robin works his a double s off while I watch and stress over the time it is taking.. Not real patient.. gee, I wonder where that comes from?
Chad talked in church yesterday and told Grandma Edman's story.. very sweet, and very touching and with Chad's touch of humor..so, not boring either. Wish you could've heard him, he really has grown into a pretty cool guy. Now, I wish I could say that about the rest of my family (Scott and Me, that is). Love you all Jill.
PS.. Joey has just qualified to be the first C130J pilot to do fire fighting in Cal... good ( I guess ) that they have lots of fires.. Actually, he is really excited ( I think Continental is a little too tame for him.. so he has to do both..UGH what is a mother to do)
Your plants and yard are beautiful and colorful. I stuggle to keep the grass green as I don't yet have the sprinklers turned on.
Enjoy your yard and let others do the labor.
Post a Comment