August 10, 2009

School Days

First Day of School 1982
Todd: "Mo-om, why do you make me wear these socks?"
Cami: " I make 'em look gooood"

It's August. It's hot. And school has started. Cami (uh, Mizz Chrishen) started Aug. 3. The students started Aug. 10. I'm old school, and this just seems wrong. Labor Day? Pfft, a one day holiday after already being in school 4 weeks.


First Day of School 2009

Fast forward several years and the student has become the teacher. This school is over 60 years old. The plaster is pealing, it needs paint, the windows don't work and climate control is--uncontrolled.

Her first lesson of the year is the story of the goldfish. You see, a goldfish has such a small brain that each time he swims to the other side of the bowl, he thinks it is someplace new. He cannot remember that he was just here a few seconds ago. So, as the year progresses, she asks students who do not follow directions if they are a goldfish. A gentle reminder. She also does her "actions have consequences" speech. And demonstrates that good behavior will be rewarded while bad behavior will not. (the lure of the forbidden stick of gum.) Of course, all these admonitions must be repeated constantly all year. But, by the end of the year, she has well trained pupils.

Uh oh, here comes someone with goldfish food. Must swim to the top, and then explore the depths of this pretty new bowl. Just keep swimming....

6 comments:

Jolene said...

1. Are you kidding me??? School has started, that's insane.
2. Cami is adorable and skinny.
3. How many students this year? At the present, 27 are on my role.
4. I LOVE the goldfish story and intend to use it. First day.
5. I love that she's a master teacher who truly does make a huge difference in the lives of her students.
Call if you need to gripe, I'm an understanding ear.

Meghan said...

wow mar - you have a lot going on in that head. wish i did.

love the socks. i think i will get some for ry's first day of k-garten.

Suz said...

Don't want to make anyone feel old or anything, but the long socks are back in. Lots of the young ladies in our ward are wearing them with really short shorts.

Cami-you look awesome! So sorry your summer was cut short!

Jill's Diary....love it or leave it! said...

When my grandkids lived in the south, they were in school by now, as well... Heat is not an option there, just like cold is not an option here.... Good luck to you

Grandma Cheryl said...

i have wanted to comment but am too depressed about school starting already. summer went by too fast and i didn't get any pool or recreational vehicle time. boo!!!
cute cami is just one of the many teachers in the family. it must be in the genes. mom didn't have a degree but she taught 1000's of people every where but in a school building.

Trish and John said...

So fun, I didn't know Cami was teaching! Congrats and awesome work on such creativity in the classroom. I too love the goldfish story. I fear however I work with too many goldfish at the firestation...sigh.